February 17, 2007

3.2.1. BLASTOFF!

I am in Cocoa Beach, FL this weekend assuming the role of photographer for a youth girls soccer team who is playing in a tournament. I really don't even know how I got talked into this but the universe is rewarding me BIG time this evening.

I have always wanted to see a live space shuttle launch from the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral. As we arrived here late yesterday I noticed tons of people just parked along the side of the road (causeway) out of their vehicles and generally hanging around. It was obvious they were there to see something, but what? Could it be? No! It just couldn't be that a shuttle launch was on the verge of take off...

Turns out that a launch was scheduled but had to be delayed due to high winds. The best news is that it was rescheduled for today! Needless to say, I am GIDDY and counting the minutes until 6:01PM this evening when I will (NASA permitting) finally get to witness a shuttle blast off into Space. What a concept... it demands your attention doesn't it?

The shuttle is taking 5 satellites up in an effort to further the study on Aurora Borealis or "Northern Lights" - another one of my favorites!

all systems "GO"!

0 comments: