March 21, 2007

Déjà vu

Yes, this is my second post today. Aren't you lucky? The breaking news is that I finally know what I want to be when I grow up. In a nutshell - Product Management. However, take a look at David Beach's Blog to get a better idea of what I mean. I definitely need to be doing something that allows me to use my creativity. Any suggestions David?

See mom? There is hope yet. As GI Joe said every morning before I headed off into the "real" world... "Knowing is half the battle".

Happy Hump Day kids. What a great day this is today! Perfect weather and I can't seem to stop smiling for some reason.

2 comments:

beach said...

Howdy Gem!

I think Product Management is a fine career choice. Especially in the web world, which is what I'm assuming you're interested in.

Now you can go about it a few ways...
The most common is to go to business school. MBA preferably. Another way is to actually get a Computer Science degree.

I did neither. I dropped out of film school. But I did it at the right time. I started working on large web sites from the beginning. In 1993. I became a web designer and Information Architect. So I went to the school of hard knocks. I don't think that's possible anymore. The safest way is to get into business and/marketing. Heck there may even be Product Management emphasis' now in schools. I don't know.

But... and this is a big BUT. Never lose your creativity. Buck the system, do things your own way. Be gracious, but think out of the box. Flip convention on its head. Be yourself and have fun. Be a good writer (which I can tell that you're well on your way)

Remember that it's good to take risks and stick your neck out. Lives are hardly ever at stake with a web site. If something is broken, it can be fixed. Pretty much immediately. This is not software or hardware where everything has to be perfect upon shipment. Look at that pig Windows Vista... that took how long?

Anyway. I hope this helps. Take care, and keep me posted.

Oh and to Gem's mom... don't give him a hard time. He'll find the right path. :)

- Beach

beach said...

Oops. i should do my research before blathering on in a comment. feel free to switch genders in my last post. :)

And if you have a degree in something. think about how it applies to web development. blah blah blah.

Take care Gem,

-beachie